A Hospital Founded by the
Community, for the Community
Abington Memorial Hospital opened its
doors in 1914. A familiar
symbol, the hospital’s steeple, was
added in 1930. In 1940, Mrs. George
F. Tyler presented the
community with a carillon in memory
of her granddaughter,
In the early 1900s, Abington
was rural with many working farms, and the nearest hospital was eight miles
away in Philadelphia. Injured residents traveled
on rough roads, usually in horse-drawn carts or buggies. Along with progress and population growth, came
more trips to the distant hospital.
Causes of injuries were varied, ranging from farm and auto accidents to
trolley car mishaps, as trolleys shuttled weekend visitors to and from Willow
Grove Park, and the introduction of the automobile lead to ever-increasing traffic
on Old York Road.
Having one of the
area’s first cars, local landowner George W. Elkins, Sr., was occasionally called
upon to transport injured patients.
Legend has it that one of his passengers died en route, bringing home
the need for a hospital in Abington. Elkins
shared his concern at a local pinochle game, and the players stopped the game
to arrange a town meeting. Another
prominent resident, Mrs. Charles Kruger, who had opened her home for use as an emergency
hospital on occasions, joined Elkins to help with the planning.
In 1913, the cornerstone of Abington
Hospital was laid. Posing for
are Leon H. Gilbert, first
secretary to the Board of Trustees, and
Elkins Jr., the hospital’s first
president and son of our founder.
Rallies to Establish
On May 7, 1912 a town
meeting was held, and community members passed a resolution to establish
Abington General Hospital. Elkins
donated land and money for the new building in memory of his wife, Stella
McIntire Elkins, and the hospital was renamed in her honor. Area
residents and women’s groups joined in fundraising with holiday bazaars, street
fairs and door-to-door campaigns and a Women’s Auxiliary was formed (renamed
Women’s Board in 1941). On May 15, 1914,
Abington Memorial Hospital opened its doors to the community.
Today, Abington Memorial Hospital offers
healthcare services, including the Pilla
Heart Center, Rosenfeld
Orthopaedic and Spine Institute,
Pennock Emergency Trauma Center,
Neurosciences Institute, Muller Center
for Senior Health, and the Institute for
Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
“First Aid Station in a Cornfield” to Regional Referral Center
What some doubters called
“a first aid station in a cornfield” has grown from a 48-bed hospital into a 665-bed,
regional referral center, teaching hospital and trauma center, attracting
patients from Philadelphia, surrounding counties and beyond, serving more than
44,000 inpatients, 123,000 emergency patients and with over 560,000 outpatient
the Local Healthcare Landscape
As the area’s leading
healthcare provider, Abington Memorial Hospital established needed outpatient campuses
over the years and acquired the former Warminster Hospital and Central Montgomery Medical
1983 - Abington Health Center –
Schilling Campus, Willow Grove, PA - This 40-acre campus, founded in 1983, includes outpatient services, medical
and administrative offices and conference and educational facilities.
2007 - Abington Health Center - Warminster
Campus, Warminster, PA - The former Warminster Hospital has been
transformed into a convenient outpatient center. In 2009,
the hospital opened Abington Hospice at Warminster, a specially-designed inpatient
unit to meet the needs of terminally ill patients and their families.
- Lansdale Hospital, Lansdale, PA - Abington Memorial
Hospital purchased the former Central Montgomery Medical Center, renaming the
facility Lansdale Hospital, under the trusted umbrella of Abington Health. Expanded services include the state-of-the-art
Orthopaedic and Spine Institute, a rehabilitation unit, sleep center, wound
care center and same day surgery center.
– Abington Health – Next Generation
With the formation of
Abington Health in 2009, the commitment to excellence has expanded, bringing
the trusted services of AMH to even more residents. Today, Abington Health includes Abington Memorial Hospital, Lansdale Hospital, the Warminster and Schilling campuses, and Abington Health
Physicians, a network of more than 200 primary care physicians and specialists
with convenient locations in Montgomery, Bucks and Philadelphia counties.
Abington Health is one of the largest employers in Montgomery County