PLEASE NOTE: Applications will be accepted September 1, 2013 to December 15, 2013 for Pre-Med Volunteers. All references must be received no later than January 5, 2014.
An Opportunity to Experience Abington
Abington Memorial Hospital offers a program which allows students considering a career in medicine to gain first-hand experience in the health care field. A community teaching hospital, Abington was founded in 1914 and serves residents of Montgomery, Bucks and Philadelphia counties. Approximately 400 resident physicians receive postgraduate medical education at the hospital every year. Abington Memorial Hospital also operates the Dixon School of Nursing and the School of Radiologic Technology. Our accredited Emergency Trauma Center is the only regional trauma center in Montgomery County designated by the Trauma Systems Foundation.
In order to gain an understanding of the work and responsibilities of a healthcare provider in a modern hospital complex, volunteers are required to work a minimum of four hours a week, including at least one weekend during the summer, in the Emergency Trauma Center or Hospital Elder Life Program. Since most program participants have full-time jobs, hours may be scheduled for evenings and weekends. They also attend a weekly seminar with hospital staff members to become familiar with subjects relating to medical careers. Topics include basic and specialty areas of practice, medical school admission, medical ethics and others.
Additional opportunities such as observing in surgery, making rounds with members of the house staff and observing in other hospital departments may be arranged.
- Applicants must have completed the sophomore year in college.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a course of study related to health care and achieve adequate grades in these subjects.
- Applicants must spend at least six hours a week in the program during the summer (including seminars and volunteer work), including 2+ hours in the evenings for lecture.
- Applicants must exhibit a mature attitude toward the responsibilities and privileges of the Pre-Med volunteer program.
- Applicants must complete the Pre-Med program application as well as provide three (3) reference letters.
- Applicants must be cleared by EHS in May.
- Applicants must provide updated Child Abuse Clearance Certificate in May.
Preference will be given to students living in the immediate hospital area.
Interested? Download the Application and Reference Letter (3 copies).
Deadline for applications is December 15, 2013.
For More Information
If you have questions or would like to receive an application form for the program, contact:
Abington Memorial Hospital
Volunteer Resources Department
1200 Old York Road
Abington, PA 19001-3788