Skilled Nursing Care
Skilled registered nurses help speed a patient's recovery after an operation or illness. They also provide ongoing care to the aged or chronically ill. Often, with the help of a visiting nurse, lengthy hospital stays and burdens on family members can be avoided.
Following consultation with physicians, nurses perform specific tasks including:
- completing physical assessments
- instructing families on the care of acutely ill patients
- dressing wounds
- supervising treatment and diet
- instructing in and supervising the use of medication
- administering intravenous medications
- counseling on health issues
- assisting patients and their families with crisis intervention
- Tracheostomy Care: take feeding instruction and management
Nurses have been called the at-home eyes, ears and hands of physicians. They verify medical orders and ascertain that patients are complying with physician-approved treatment plans. Regular written and verbal communications with physicians about their patients ensure that progress is documented and problems are quickly identified.