In the early 1900s, Abington was a rural town with the nearest hospital being eight miles away. Injured residents faced this trip on rough roads, usually in horse-drawn carts or buggies. Having one of the area's first cars, local landowner George W. Elkins, Sr., was occasionally asked to transport patients. Legend has it that one of his passengers died en route. Recognizing the need for a hospital in Abington, he arranged a town meeting.
On May 7, 1912, community members gathered and passed a resolution to establish Abington General Hospital. Elkins donated land and money for the new building in memory of his wife, Stella McIntire Elkins, and the hospital was renamed in her honor. On May 15, 1914, Abington Memorial Hospital opened to the community.