The Cardiac Fitness Program
at Lansdale Hospital
If you're recovering from heart disease, cardiac surgery or a cardiac event such as a heart attack, you can get the care you need close to home. Our Cardiac Fitness Center is conveniently located right on the hospital campus in Lansdale. We provide medically supervised exercise, education and support services to help you:
- Feel better and recover faster
- Strengthen your cardiovascular system
- Reduce the risk of future heart problems
- Increase your activity level and improve your quality of life
- Attain confidence in your ability to be active
Additional benefits may include:
- Lower cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure
- Weight control
- Slower progression of arthritis
- Preservation or increase of bone density
If you have any of the following conditions, you may be a candidate for cardiac rehabilitation:
- You have been diagnosed with cardiovascular disease.
- You have experienced angina, heart failure or a cardiac event such as a heart attack.
- You have had coronary bypass surgery, coronary angioplasty or a balloon catheter (PTCA) procedure on your heart.
- You have had a heart transplant.
- You have a high risk of heart disease due to high blood pressure, obesity, heredity or other factors.
The ultimate goal of our Cardiac Rehabilitation Program is to enable patients to resume active and productive lives within their limitations. We offer specialized and medically supervised exercise programs. As an outpatient, you'll begin rehabilitation at an activity level that is not too strenuous for your current condition. You may exercise up to three times a week on our specially designed equipment while your heart response is monitored. Through exercise, your heart will be strengthened as you work toward returning to a greater level of activity. Your exercise level will increase as your strength and tolerance improves. Our staff will continue to monitor and evaluate your progress, as well as update your exercise prescription on an ongoing basis.
In all stages of cardiac rehabilitation, it's important to continue to educate yourself and loved ones about your condition. By implementing appropriate lifestyle changes, you will continue to take steps toward minimizing future risk. For further information about the Cardiac Fitness Program at Lansdale Hospital, call 215-361-4579.