Emergency Concussion Treatment
Call 9-1-1 or get immediate medical care at the Abington Memorial Hospital Emergency Trauma Center or nearest emergency room for these concussion signs and symptoms:
- Headaches that worsen
- Extremely drowsy/cannot be awakened
- Repeated vomiting
- Slurred speech
- Not able to recognize people or places
- Increasing confusion or irritability
- Weakness or numbness in arms or legs
- One pupil of eye larger than other
- Loses consciousness, even for a moment
- Unusual behavior
If there is any doubt about whether an athlete has suffered a concussion, get emergency treatment immediately. Our emergency and trauma specialists are available 24/7 in our Emergency Trauma Center, 1200 Old York Rd., Abington, PA 19001.
After emergency care, patients referred for follow-up in our Concussion Program:
- Will be seen within 24 to 48 hours
- Receive evaluation and testing
- Diagnostic tests include ImPACT testing for concussion
- Are given an individualized concussion treatment plan
- Have additional care if needed
- Are monitored closely and given written clearance to return to school and sports when medically ready
The Pennsylvania Safety in Youth Sports Act requires:
- All school athletes who have sustained concussion must be further evaluated after emergency care
- Athletes may not return to school and resume athletic activity until they have been medically cleared
Our concussion experts can help:
To Refer an Athlete to the Concussion Program
Coaches, trainers or parents may refer an athlete for follow-up care with one of our concussion specialty physicians. Call 215-481-HEAD (4323). Appointments available within 24 to 48 hours.
Free Concussion Education for Coaches and Schools
We provide free educational sessions to schools on concussion and traumatic head injury. These sessions are available for school staff, trainers, coaches, athletes, students and parents. Call 215-481-HEAD (4323) for information, or with any questions or concerns about concussion.
For an appointment with a Neurosciences Institute specialist, call our Physician Referral Service, 215-481-MEDI (6334).