American Stroke Association:
Stroke Patient Management Tool
The Diamond Stroke Center at Abington Memorial Hospital is utilizing the American Stroke Association's Get With The Guidelines Patient Management Tool to measure and monitor patient outcomes. The American Stroke Association's Stroke Patient Management Tool is a web-based, interactive assessment and reporting system that assists in implementation of the Acute Stroke Treatment Program and the "Get with the Guidelines Stroke initiative."
The Stroke Patient Management Tool provides a ready means to track acute stroke treatment and assist hospitals in implementing guidelines-based care in management and secondary prevention of acute stroke. The ASA Patient Management Tool is an easy-to-use, four-page form requiring minimal input but providing a powerful set of features to meet clinical, quality, accreditation and research needs across the continuum of care. These features include the ability to:
- track key indicators for acute stroke management from first EMS contact through patient discharge; access real-time, hospital-specific and aggregate benchmarking reports that can be printed or incorporated in presentations.
- check the most current guidelines customized to the patient
- add custom data fields
- download data on demand.
What Are We Measuring?
Acute stroke treatment:
- symptom onset to thrombolytic therapy (if appropriate)
- patient arrival to the ETC to initial work-up (brain imaging)
- patient arrival to the ETC to thrombolytic therapy (if appropriate)
Secondary stroke prevention; Risk factor reduction:
- smoking cessation counseling
- lipid-lowering therapy
- anti-thrombotic therapy
- weight and exercise management
- atrial fibrillation management
- diabetes management
- atherosclerosis; carotid disease evaluation
- blood pressure treatment
- patient and family education
- DVT prophylaxis
- dysphagia screen
- stroke rehabilitation
- complications from stroke