Gynecologic Cancer Diagnostics
Diagnostic testing with the latest technologies is vital for accurately identifying, staging and determining treatment for gynecologic cancer. Our patients are evaluated with the most up-to-date cancer diagnostic services.
Some of the tests gynecologic cancer patients may have include:
- serum tumor marker tests
- Pap smear, endometrial biopsy
- colposcopy and endocervical curettage (ECC), to view areas of the cervix
- pelvic ultrasound, transvaginal ultrasound
- chest x-ray
- CT (computed tomography), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) or PET (positron emission tomography) scans
- cystoscopy, to look at the lining of the bladder and urethra by endoscope
- proctoscopy, to look at the rectum and anus
- intravenous pyelogram (IVP) to x-ray the bladder, kidney and urinary system
- laparoscopy or laparotomy
- biopsy, cone biopsy or dilation and curettage (D&C), to remove tissue for laboratory examination
Depending upon physical examination findings, symptoms or laboratory results, other tests also may be recommended.
A fellowship-trained gynecologic pathologist provides special expertise through the pathology department at Abington Memorial Hospital. This consultant’s knowledge helps women with gynecologic cancer receive more accurate and appropriate treatment. Most outside pathology slides are reviewed in person and in a weekly gynecologic oncology conference before further treatment is provided.
Diagnostic testing using advanced technology for all types of cancer is available at all Abington Health locations, including Abington Memorial Hospital, Lansdale Hospital, Abington Health Center – Schilling Campus (in Willow Grove) and Abington Health Center – Warminster Campus. If a biopsy for gynecologic cancer is indicated, a gynecologic pathologist in Abington’s Pathology Department offers special expertise in analyzing test results.
Genetic Risk Assessment Program
The Rosenfeld Cancer Center offers a free cancer risk assessment program to help you better understand your genetic risk of ovarian, uterine (endometrial), breast and/or colorectal cancer. For information, please contact the nurse genetic counselor at 215-481-2715 or email@example.com.
Learn more about our gynecologic cancer care: