Outpatient Care in the Comprehensive Heart Failure Program
We quickly coordinate outpatient care after discharge to help you achieve the highest degree of heart function and recovery. By supplementing the care provided by the patient’s own physician, we can optimize heart function and reduce the likelihood of a return to the hospital.
The Comprehensive Heart Failure Program’s outpatient subspecialty practice is located within the Pilla Heart Center on 5 Toll at the hospital. Just as with our inpatient care, we offer the latest technology and best expertise in diagnosing and treating congestive heart failure.
Our outpatient goals for each patient include:
- developing a plan for optimal heart failure management;
- using outstanding Pilla Heart Center resources when needed, such as the electrophysiology team, cardiac catheterization laboratory, Porter Institute for Valvular Heart Disease and the Heart Rhythm Center;
- ensuring communication and coordination with the primary physician or cardiologist after each patient visit to our practice;
- returning patients to their primary physician or cardiologist as soon as their heart failure status has improved.
Patients benefit from our many outpatient capabilities. Among them:
- easily accessible and comprehensive office follow-up;
- heart failure diagnostics and monitoring;
- cardiopulmonary stress testing;
- non-invasive impedance cardiography;
- management of home ionotropic infusion therapy to avoid inpatient stays;
- diuretic and medication IVs;
- pacemaker resynchronization therapy via echocardiography;
- aquapheresis (ultrafiltration) therapy for fluid build-up;
- arrangements for home nursing and close collaboration with those services;
- patient and family education.
Heart failure patients benefit greatly from our comprehensive team approach. For a few patients, referral to a transplant center may be appropriate. We have transplant referral relationships with Hahnemann University Hospital and the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
Learn more about home care and patient education in the Comprehensive Heart Failure Program.