Pilla Heart Center patients receive exceptional inpatient care when they need treatment at Abington Memorial Hospital. After cardiac surgery, including open heart procedures and valve repair, patients are brought to the Cardiac Surgery Unit (CSU) on the third floor of the hospital’s Toll Pavilion. This unit features technologically advanced monitoring systems, on-site services, and a highly skilled team with expertise in managing patients after cardiac surgery.
Surgery patients are cared for jointly by board-certified specialists from cardiology and pulmonary/critical care, in addition to their cardiac surgeon. The unit’s heart surgery nurse practitioners are registered nurses (RNs) with graduate degrees in nursing. They are licensed and board-certified in acute care for patients who have undergone complex cardiac surgery procedures.
While patients are in the CSU, they and their loved ones benefit from the services of our cardiac surgery family liaison. This team member provides comfort and help throughout the hospital stay.
The Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU) tends patients who are recovering from heart attack, chest pain (angina), and heart rhythm disorders. With leading-edge technology for 24-hour monitoring of seriously ill heart patients, the CICU is staffed by highly experienced cardiologists and cardiac nurses.
Inpatient care for heart failure patients is provided in a dedicated heart failure unit. This unit offers:
- advanced telemetry, for precise monitoring;
- an expert team of cardiologists and nurse practitioners to optimize heart failure management and therapy;
- highly respected electrophysiology specialists skilled at using leading-edge device therapy for heart failure treatment;
- nursing professionals with specialty training in heart failure care;
- aquapheresis ultrafiltration therapy to relieve fluid build-up problems, lessen symptoms and possibly speed discharge;
- bedside education to assist patients and families in beginning recovery;
- a transition nurse to prepare patients for discharge and connect them with follow-up services.
For expertise on inpatient heart care, contact the specialists at Abington’s Pilla Heart Center, including the Porter Institute for Valvular Heart Disease, Heart Rhythm Center, Cardiothoracic Surgery, and Comprehensive Heart Failure Program.