How Do I Prepare for My Mammogram?
It's not complicated. Just follow these simple steps:
- Bring your doctor's order/prescription/referral with you to your mammogram appointment.
- Have the names and addresses of physicians to whom you want the results sent.
- If applicable, please bring in previous films from mammograms that were done at other institutions for the radiologist to compare. Please note that obtaining the films is the patient's responsibility. Without these films, there may be a delay in getting your results. To get previous films, simply contact the radiology file room at the hospital where your previous mammogram was done and make arrangements to pick it up.
- Do not wear deodorant, powder, perfume or lotion under your arms as these products may show up on your mammography images.
- Dress comfortably. We suggest two-piece dressing since you can leave your clothes on from the waist down.
- Avoid beverages with caffeine for 48 hours prior to your mammogram, because for women with fibrocystic breasts, it could make the breasts more sensitive and the mammogram more uncomfortable.
Occasionally, it may be necessary to call you back for additional films and perhaps an ultrasound or MRI. This does not mean that you have breast cancer, but that more films are needed to help the radiologist give a complete report. You will be contacted by telephone and letter if additional x-rays are needed.
The results of all mammograms are sent to your referring physician. A summary of the results will be mailed to you as well.