Tips for Injury Prevention
(13 to 18 Years of Age)
- Provide competent drivers education. This can help teens to learn the rules, and it provides experience behind the wheel.
- Teach and promote safety.
- Maintain a safe vehicle.
- Obey posted speed limits. Slow down and be especially alert in residential areas.
- Remember that seat belt use is mandatory; including passengers. This law is regularly enforced: "Click It or Ticket."
- Do not use cell phones, text messaging, MP3 players, games and or hand-held devices while driving.
- Do not operate a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or any other drugs.
- NEVER get into a vehicle with a driver who is impaired by drinking or drugs.
- Eliminate any distractions inside your car so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings.
- Passengers compound challenges. Promote appropriate behavior. No goofing off or showing off in the car.
- Wear appropriate and properly fitted protective equipment for selected sport.
- Perform conditioning exercises before games and during practice.
- Drink plenty of fluids to avoid heat injury.