Tips for Injury Prevention
(from Birth to One Year of Age)
Shaken Baby Syndrome
- NEVER Shake an infant or child.
- Avoid disciplining your child when you are angry.
- Avoid holding your child during arguments. If you find yourself short-tempered around your infant/child, take breaks and ask friends and relatives for help.
Call 800-422-4453 for a 24-hour crisis hotline.
For more information call 877-724-3258.
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Always place infant on his or her back to sleep.
- Do not sleep with the baby in your bed.
- Place infant to sleep on a firm mattress.
- Do not place soft items in crib (pillows, stuffed animals, toys, or bumpers).
- Do not overheat the infant's room.
- Do not smoke.
- Offer a pacifier.
For more information call 800-505-2742.